You are here

Cat Owners Beware: Lily Poisoning

Spring flowers are a common household decoration to celebrate the season, but they are also a common source of poisoning in cats. Lilies are especially toxic to cats, and while some species may be more hazardous than others, they are all a cause for concern for cat owners. Despite the dangers cats will likely chew any lilies in or around your home. If you are a cat owner, we recommend leaving the lilies out of your seasonal bouquets for this reason.


When ingested, even small amounts of lilies can lead to kidney failure and death in cats. Symptoms of lily ingestion include but are not limited to the following:

  • upset stomach
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • lethargy
  • hiding
  • loss of appetite
  • halitosis
  • dehydration
  • seizures
  • inappropriate urination or thirst


If you spot any combination of the above symptoms in your cat take it to your veterinarian immediately. Intravenous fluids must be started within 18 hours of ingestion for optimal treatment, but the sooner medical attention is received the higher your cat’s chances will be for a successful recovery.

Please note Peace Lillies (a common house plant also known as Mauna Lao plant) are not toxic. They may cause gastrointestinal upset but not acute kidney failure. As always we recommend contacting your veterinarian for more information.